Skip to main content

Finally LOST

I seriously think that LOST is a phenomenal show, being made by the group of individuals who have balls of the size of melons.

The latter is the only explanation of the confidence they exude when faced with necessity to further develop the convoluted story lines of the plot which
a) never existed
b) collapsed several times already during previous attempts to develop what never existed to start with and
c) still not coming together (really? alternate reality is the cheapest cop out there is, next to the person waking up and realizing that all of it was a dream...).

I can only admire the commitment of that team, and extend my deepest sympathy to the writers who actually have to put words on paper, and make them sound natural without conveying any sense (which looks more and more like a policy of the show, like "no direct question should be dignified with an answer, ever" or "if in doubt, make a character tell a random lie or cry")—amazing writing indeed. I am serious.

So, final season.

Is it just me, or it looks like the show resets itself every once in a while? Or, rather, every time it reaches a critical mass of conflicting logic? And it does so by blowing up stuff, like a hatch.
A submarine, or another station, or two.
A ship.
An island (that's a big one, how are we gonna get out of this one? Oh, oh, I know: alternate reality!!! Where everybody is happy, except for Locke, who is still a loser. Is that the plan—to explore this new "side-flash" story and end up in the mere 100 years old O'Henry Roads Of Destiny's way of coming to the same point, just in a different way? They have to resolve this new wisp of plot lines somehow, haven't they? I suggest waking up randomly selected main character, but it's just me.)

So, the bomb went off (in one reality?), causing the island to appear sunken in 2004, and all the characters carry on with their lives as if nothing ever happened. Story resets once again, but I am not sure I want to follow the alternate reality, I am being force-fed now for the lack of better entertainment. I kinda like the island better, you know, all the isolated environment stuff, characters, forced to deal with each other quirks, and so on... up until a certain reset of a story, which threw us into the bliss of 70's suburban soap opera of the last season, that was annoying.

I am not amazed nor excited to see Kate in handcuffs again. Who cares if she might even be allegedly innocent in this life? There are an infinite number if alternate stories which could be written about any of the losties, and they all can be made to look believable, and they all can be played out in a very convincing way by the talented cast (I am not sure I like Ben as a school teacher, after he was so endearing as a cult leader of the Others and an assassin handler on main land), so what?
Imagine a really good band stop playing suddenly after two verses and a chorus, and say "err... oops. wrong key. have to start over... hope you don't mind...".
And again.
And again, bit without "...hope you don't mind...".
That would take away a bit of the entertainment value, wouldn't it?

It also reminds me of the all the cons on Leverage: you know, when the first well-planned con doesn't ever goes as planned, something terrible wrong happens, and the crew needs to improvise to get out of the situation, and it always works out?

Except on Leverage IT'S DONE ON PURPOSE, and that's why it works!!!

What is really amazing is a cult following this show has, and the level of blind trust people put in it's production team (I have heard some internet comments like: "Don't you remember Mr. Eko saying to Locke that he is next, and now he is dead, so THEY DID HAVE A PLAN FROM THE VERY BEGINNING!"—nope. If it only was that simple, or proved anything, it'd make me happy. In reality it just means that you can't see the story cracking at the seams, or don't care, because you finally found your alpha, and now your muzzle is glued to it's tail, and you are ready to believe that one loaf of bread feeds one thousand people under right circumstances, give or take a few. Too bad it's just a TV show, and not a real cult, so you can't wait for a second coming of Jacob in the remote campground, while leaving your earthly possessions to your leader).

And yes, I do watch the show. I am ashamed to admit that, but I still hope that they will find an elegant way of tying all the loose threads and making everything come together at last, but the hope is fading away with every new cope out.

I am less and less convinced everything will work out, ad we all know what to do if you are not sure.

Press "77".

P.S. And for those of you who gets really excited about characters randomly quoting Star Wars or anything else for that matter—watch Psych, they do pop-culture quotes half a dozen times per episode, and it's actually funny there.

Popular posts from this blog

{position:fixed} in iOS 6

I stumbled upon this oddity when upgrading to iOS 6 while working on a mobile advertising project, and it took me a better part of the day to figure out what is going on: all of a sudden an element {position:fixed} stopped working in a correct manner (which is staying put, while the page is scrolling), and started "sticking" to the scrolling page, moving out of the viewport, and then just "jumping" back to the correct location after the scrolling was finished.If you scroll this page , you will see it—hint: that's the one labeled "broken"—assuming that you have a correct device/browser combination. Mine was iPhone4 and iOS 6.0 (6.0.1-6.1.3 behaves just the same). On the original page, where I first encountered the problem, all of my elements were created dynamically using JavaScript, but at the end of the day (literally) it become clear, that the glitch is in the iOS 6 CSS implementation.Here is what happens: if you have an element {position:fixed} whic

iLife Revisited

After several months of DV abstinence, partly caused by an unprecedented attack of GarageBand eiphoria , partly - absence of footage of any value, due to rather eventless existance, I finally decided to return to the most time consuming of all of my activities, and make a movie again. Following is a short summary of the experience. I promise to keep this rant as technically oriented, as I can, in hope, that it might be of some benefit to fellow users. During nearly half of the year, which passed since my last cinematographic endevour, there were a couple of QuickTime updates, iPhoto update, and several system and security updates. Current set-up: System: Mac OS X (10.3.6) iMovie 4.0.1 iDVD 4.0.1 QuickTime 6.2 (Pro) iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM Good things first: audio and video ARE in synk throughout the whole 1 hour and 39 minutes of the show. I would be thrilled, if it didn't happen before, but the good thing is that it's still there. This is about it. 1. iMovie is as sl

I Am Starting To Worry...

...generally, when the amount of money in my savings exceeds a certain number (and that's not a large number), mainly, because I expect various unpleasant events to take place. Usually, the car breaks down. Sometimes I hit something, but sometimes it breaks by itself just as well. This Tuesday I came to work, parked my Jeep, spent 9 hours at the office, went back to my Jeep and turned the ignition key. Nothing. The lights are on, though, radio works, too - I have power. So it's a fuse, or starter. I checked the fuses (found two which claimed responsibility for the starter operation), one was all right, the other one I couldn't pull out without pliers, so I decided, that it's all right, too. It looked nice from the outside. So I called AAA and asked for the tow to the dealership. The truck came in about half an hour and the driver checked my battery, confirmed that it's not it, and offered me to start my Jeep with a help of two seemingly undocumented individuals, who