Skip to main content

The more I watch "LOST", Or On Building Underwater Hatches

The more I watch LOST, the more I realize, that there are things I really like about that show, and there are things that annoy me - to my own greatest surprise (for I have been a sci-fi fan for as long as I can remember myself reading and watching anything).
The more I watch LOST, the more it looks like the things that annoy me, are, in fact, the very things that cultivated my affection to the genre in a first place - the sci-fi elements, the things unexplainable and non-existent in our boring daily routine, the things that stimulate imagination and challenge common sense. Like space or time travel, and alternative realities, and dangerous species, lurking in the dark in strange places, and amazing gadgets which do wonderful things.
The more I watch LOST, the more I am closing on the conclusion, that what I actually like about that show is dialog, characters, acting, basically anything, but the mystery behind all that. I do realize, however, that the mystery is the foundation of all what is happening on the island, and without it nothing would work, but wouldn't it be so much better if there was a conventional explanation for what is going on? That, of course, would never allow for the existence of smoke monster and semi-visible Jacob (I would keep the magnetic anomaly, which makes the island invisible for the outside world, though - besides, there are things like this in real world - and, probably, the healing powers of the island to keep things interesting, but that's enough for me, really).
The thing is, that you don't have to throw in everything you can think of just to make the story interesting. The relationships between the characters, conflict with the Others, sexual tension, and so on is more than enough, why do you feel the need to dilute the plot with unnecessary sci-fication of everything.
Imagine that you are reading really well-written detective story, the classic locked room mystery, which gets better and better with every page, and you are dying to figure out along with the main character, how the main suspect could commit that crime and escape the room, leaving it locked from the inside, and on the last page somebody casually says "well, that's simple, he just can go through walls, because he has superpowers, that's all". That's to me is cheating, and I am really worried that the creators of the show might slip into it; there are many things thrown in already which would only make it easier.
The underwater hatch, however, looks very cute. Aside from the obvious idiocy of having it anchored to the shore, although it was never designed to drift away, being seemingly attached to the bottom, and lacking any noticeable means of supplying the inhabitants with oxygen, it's very cool, and will provide nice scenery for whatever happens there.
I don't think, they will kill Charlie - they talk too much about it, and all the people killed on the show so far were killed without warning.
It's not clear, how Jack's plan with blowing Others up is going to work now, since they most likely will not be looking for marked tents, knowing that the whole operation was compromised. Bernard looks like a goner, though - just a gut feeling.

Popular posts from this blog

{position:fixed} in iOS 6

I stumbled upon this oddity when upgrading to iOS 6 while working on a mobile advertising project, and it took me a better part of the day to figure out what is going on: all of a sudden an element {position:fixed} stopped working in a correct manner (which is staying put, while the page is scrolling), and started "sticking" to the scrolling page, moving out of the viewport, and then just "jumping" back to the correct location after the scrolling was finished.If you scroll this page , you will see it—hint: that's the one labeled "broken"—assuming that you have a correct device/browser combination. Mine was iPhone4 and iOS 6.0 (6.0.1-6.1.3 behaves just the same). On the original page, where I first encountered the problem, all of my elements were created dynamically using JavaScript, but at the end of the day (literally) it become clear, that the glitch is in the iOS 6 CSS implementation.Here is what happens: if you have an element {position:fixed} whic

iLife Revisited

After several months of DV abstinence, partly caused by an unprecedented attack of GarageBand eiphoria , partly - absence of footage of any value, due to rather eventless existance, I finally decided to return to the most time consuming of all of my activities, and make a movie again. Following is a short summary of the experience. I promise to keep this rant as technically oriented, as I can, in hope, that it might be of some benefit to fellow users. During nearly half of the year, which passed since my last cinematographic endevour, there were a couple of QuickTime updates, iPhoto update, and several system and security updates. Current set-up: System: Mac OS X (10.3.6) iMovie 4.0.1 iDVD 4.0.1 QuickTime 6.2 (Pro) iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM Good things first: audio and video ARE in synk throughout the whole 1 hour and 39 minutes of the show. I would be thrilled, if it didn't happen before, but the good thing is that it's still there. This is about it. 1. iMovie is as sl

Who is running MacAddict forums?

I normally hate to complain, but, being a happy subscriber to the magazine for some time now, feel like I do need to express a concern about my recent experience with MacAddict forums section of the web site. Due to some server misbehavior, I had to re-register, my old profile disappeared, while I was updating it. My new profile was assign a label "n00b" (None Of Our Business, if I am not mistaken. This is some way to welcome a new member to the MacAddict community). It could've been cute, but it isn't. And I don't think, it was intended to be: from the post of "Scott": "...using tables for layout...is for lame-ass n00bs..." I have read several more posts in the "Web Design and Development" forum, which, for some reason, was for a couple of days named "George" (the name is back to normal now; but here is how forum moderator "Gipetto" reacted when he was asked about this oddity: "...poop, it blew me away tha