Skip to main content

Fuzzy Shadows at ALA

I have been following this discussion on ALA article for several days now, and I am still confused about the original idea.

I will have to repeat myself:

1. PNG's alpha transparency is supposed to allow us grater flexibility in positioning images over anything else, while maintaining simplicity of markup.
2. The situation with IE support can be resolved by many means (I still like the elegance of Aaron's "Sleight" JavaScript behavior), here is an example.

3. If we still have to match background color with GIFs, we could achieve the exact same results with a lot less effort by arranging elements in a table (yes, table - last time I checked it was still a legitimate HTML element - and, yes, it does support CSS formatting, so the separation of content and presentation shouldn't be a problem):
example 2.

Look... no JavaScript, no conditional comments, no separate stylesheet... I can go on.
Please, explain to me, somebody, why we feel the need to scratch our left ear with our right foot? When nestind empty (therefore, not content-bearing, therefore - presentation-specific, so where is a separation?) DIVs became a better way of design than saving the coding efforts and assuring better browser compatibility by using (dreadful) table, which was created to retain rows-columns positioning by design, and perfectly works?

Forgive me for being fossil, I just want to understand...

Popular posts from this blog

WordPress: How to add custom fonts to a twenty seventeen child theme.

Quick help to those who have tried to find some help and failed (as I have so I have to write the code myself). Assuming that you have your virgin child theme configured and activated: here is a function which goes into the functions.php file (of your configured and activated child theme): function childtheme_twentyseventeen_fonts_url() { $replace_original_font = true; // unless you really like Libre Franklin if ($replace_original_font !== true) { $hyph = '-custom-'; } else { $hyph = '-'; }; $font_families = array( //add your Google fonts and weights (400 and 700 are defaults for normal and bold) here: 'Oswald:200,400,700', 'Lato:200,400,700', ); $query_args = array( 'family' => urlencode( implode( '|', $font_families ) ), 'subset' => urlencode( 'latin,latin-ext' ), ); $fonts_url = add_query_arg( $query_args, 'https://fonts.googleapis.com/css' ); wp_enqueue_style( 'twentyseventeen' ....

How to Make a Website Everyone Has

On The Endless Wonders Of Internet Explorer

May be somebody will stumble upon this post and save some time for him/herself. Apparently—it only become apparent after several hours of trial, cursing and error, as it usually goes with IE—, Internet Explorer (up to version 7) throws a runtime error, if you try to modify innerHTML of the dynamically created element under certain conditions. The conditions, as it always go with IE, are significantly lacking consistent logic. For starters, if you assign innerHTML to the element before you insert it into a DOM tree, the error may not come up at all, but will surface later, when you try to modify it. So far it looks like the error mostly comes up, if you change innerHTML of the block element inserted into inline element (which is not kosher in standard-compliant HTML, so it makes sense), and some nested block elements (like DIVs inside Ps—why is that considered wrong, too?—for instance). So, if one really-really need to insert a division into a paragraph, and w...